Get the latest NFL news, scores, stats, standings, fantasy games, and more from NFL Slash! The official source for NFL news, schedules, stats, scores and much more...

Breaking

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Golden Nuggets: Eating crow

San Francisco 49ers v Denver Broncos Photo by Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images

A collection of San Francisco 49ers related links for Tuesday, February 18th, 2020

I have pretty much hated on Kendrick Bourne for the entire time he has been a 49er. He joined the team as an Undrafted Free Agent in 2017 and I never expect much from UDFAs so he went under my radar. Then his sophomore season came around, and an injured WR corps forced him into the spotlight, but he did practically nothing with the opportunity. I decided to write him off after that. 487 yards as any team’s leading receiver just won’t cut it.

Going into this last offseason I was adamant that he would not make the roster again, but the cutdown to the 53-man roster happened and he actually managed to make it. That was when Bourne’s very vocal fanbase decided to dole out I-told-you-so’s. My very prideful ego just couldn’t handle it. Instead of applauding the young man, I dug in deeper and internally justified the move by citing the injuries to Trent Taylor and Jalen Hurd, thinking he’d be the first one cut when they needed a roster spot.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I am finally ready to admit that I was wrong about Bourne. He didn’t really have good stats (30/44, 358 yds, 5 TDs), but as the third receiver, he doesn’t need big stats. People may key in on his boneheaded drops, but 23 of his 30 catches went for a 1st down or TD. For an UDFA to continue to develop and be able to carve out that sort of role is something to be celebrated.

Bourne is scheduled to be a Restricted Free Agent this offseason, and the potential return of Hurd and Taylor could slow his further development, but Bourne has worked hard to get to where he is. I fully expect to see his smiling face lighting up the field in a 49er uniform next season.

On to those links...


//
from Niners Nation - All Posts https://ift.tt/2Hv5NK6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adbox