Get the latest NFL news, scores, stats, standings, fantasy games, and more from NFL Slash! The official source for NFL news, schedules, stats, scores and much more...

Breaking

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Kyler Murray ‘will definitely be taking a knee’ during the national anthem

Arizona Cardinals v Tampa Bay Buccaneers Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

The second-year quarterback is hopeful for change in the world and is excited to show his progression this season

Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray has become a very influential leader on and off the field with a growing voice within the organization.

In his video call interview with Arizona media on Wednesday, the second-year quarterback became the latest NFL player to announce his intentions to kneel during the national anthem to peacefully protest against police brutality and racial injustice.

“I’ll be kneeling,” Murray said in response to ESPN’s Josh Weinfuss. “Like I said, I stand for what’s right. That’s the bottom line. I call it like I see it and what’s been going on is completely wrong. I’ll definitely be taking a knee.”

Arizona Cardinals v Tampa Bay Buccaneers Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

When asked if Murray thinks there will be meaningful change stemming from the protests in America, he expressed his hopefulness.

“I hope so, first of all,” Murray said. “My generation, we’re so diverse. . . . My parents’ generation grew up in segregated times, and now it’s all coming together. I feel like it’s tough, but I do feel like we’ll see change.

“There is a lot of hate in this world, but at the same time, what’s happening and what we’re seeing right now, it’s huge. I don’t condone rioting and stuff like that, but the peaceful protests I think they’re amazing. I think everything that’s going on is amazing. I think that’s just the start of it.”

“It’s not enough to not be racist. We gotta be anti racist. You got to hold everyone accountable because at the end of the day, that’s what it all comes down to. Whether it takes years, I feel like we’re getting there. At least we’re making a step towards it.”

Los Angeles Rams v Arizona Cardinals Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images

As for preparations for the football season, Murray plans to meet up with DeAndre Hopkins and the rest of the Cardinals receivers very soon. It also looks like he added some weight during the offseason, which should only help with his durability.

“Me personally, I can’t wait,” Murray said in response to his excitement to show his progression. “Just to get out there with the guys, win games, and ultimately the goal is to win a Super Bowl and bring a Super Bowl back to Arizona. That’s what I plan to do and I know the guys plan on doing that as well.”

Kyler Murray is not shy to let his voice be heard and to hold people accountable when it is needed, which is what a leader is all about. He is ready to let his play do the talking to back up the hype surrounding his team and plans on leading the Cardinals to greater heights in the 2020 season.



from Revenge of the Birds - All Posts https://ift.tt/314BB3J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adbox