Get the latest NFL news, scores, stats, standings, fantasy games, and more from NFL Slash! The official source for NFL news, schedules, stats, scores and much more...

Breaking

Monday, August 17, 2020

Monday Open Thread: August 17, 2020

NFL: Minnesota Vikings-Training Camp Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports

Monday!!!!!!! Woo-hoo!

Merry Monday, everyone!

I hope everyone’s weekend was relaxing and fun. I had a good one, for the most part. Mr. Murphy and his laws kicked my in the gonads a couple of times yesterday, but we adapted, overcame, and enjoyed the day. To begin with, there was a flat tire on the boat trailer. Mrs. Fishin’ ran to the local farm & home store to buy a jack (I didn’t have anything other than the garbage jacks that the factory puts in vehicles, so we needed one anyway), and then I changed the tire, & we got ready to head out. As I hooked up the trailer, I noticed that the little pin was missing, the one that keeps the hitch handle from coming loose. Well, it should make it as far as the store up the street, we had to go there to put some gas in the boat and get necessities (Hot Tamales, Doritos, & other essentials for a boat trip), so I’ll buy a cotter-pin there. Yeah, I hit a bump on the way, & the trailer came off the hitch. Luckily, I saw it happen, and was able to maintain my speed and let it gently run into the pickup to minimize damage. But, there was damage, I’ll need a new tailgate and a new trim piece on the front of the boat. Then, we got out to the water, the boat never did run right, and the fish weren’t biting, so we played cards and enjoyed the sun while I tried to fish. Not sure what’s wrong with the boat, I think I may have run a tank of bad gas through it last week, and I’m guessin the plugs are fouled up, and need to be taken out and cleaned. I don’t know, it was late when we got back, so I’ll find out tonight when I dig into it. Anyway, we enjoyed the day, but I’ll have a call to make to the insurance company today, and I’ll need to order a tailgate, and find a place where I can find an OEM part for a 1978 boat, which won’t be easy, but I hear you can find anything on the internet, so I won’t give up until I find it. Stupid Murphy’s Law. But hey, THANK GOD IT’S MONDAY!!!

Around the DN since our last open thread:

Adam Thielen says that the time for talking is over, per Chris. When I first saw the headline, I thought that Adam had decided to become a Monk. I didn’t even know he was Catholic! Then, I read the story, and I realized he was just saying that they have to do stuff instead of talking about it. That’s probably good news, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be able to play football if he was a Monk.

Chris reported that the Vikings brought back Tony Brooks-James, and waived Brady Aiello.

Other Vikings/NFL news, and random oddities and annoyances:

From Vikings.com, you can see a simulcast of today’s Vikings training camp.

Gary Kubiak seems pleased with what he’s seen from Justin Jefferson, per NFL.com.

Jaguars DL Rodney Gunter announced his retirement from the NFL because of a heart condition, per NFL.com. Prayers to the man and his family as he plays the waiting game, as he isn’t a candidate for surgery yet, but continuing to play could be a fatal decision. Isn’t this the second case of an enlarged aorta in the last 2 weeks? I thought there was another player with a similar diagnosis last week or the week before.

ESPN highlights the best of Sunday at NFL training camps.

Melvin Gordon got a bit too high. What? No, not that. Gordon just said that it’s been tough dealing with the altitude in Denver, per NFL.com. From personal experience, I can attest to the fact that altitude can significantly impact your cardiovascular endurance. Years ago, I was in Denver visiting friends , and I went out for a short morning jog, maybe 2 or 3 miles, and that short jog kicked my butt. I was running competitively at that point in my life, and was probably running 20 to 25 miles a week.

We come to today’s media selection:

It doesn’t get much better than the Allman Brothers, in my opinion, and here’s a great one of theirs. Here’s Sweet Melissa to give you a relaxing start to your work week. Enjoy!

Again, we all know the rules, but in case someone is new:

-No discussion of politics or religion
-No feeding of the trolls
-Take the gender hatred elsewhere, it won’t be tolerated
-Keep the bad language to a minimum (using the spoiler tags, if you must)
-If discussing a newer show or movie, please use spoiler tags
-No pictures that could get someone fired or in serious trouble with their employer
-If you can’t disagree in a civil manner, feel free to go away
-While navigating the open thread, just assume it’s sarcasm.

With that, the beer light is on and the bar is open. Belly up & tie one on. Don’t wash your hands, touch each other’s faces often, and try the finger food



from Daily Norseman - All Posts https://ift.tt/312xR1Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adbox