Get the latest NFL news, scores, stats, standings, fantasy games, and more from NFL Slash! The official source for NFL news, schedules, stats, scores and much more...

Breaking

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Gang Green Nation Reader Spotlight: Mcguirkj

Below is the next installment of our Reader Spotlight, if you’d like to have your own FEATURED post, click here, and email me your answers to the questions, as well as a photo of yourself to samlsheryll@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing your responses!

Gang Green Nation Reader Spotlight: Mcguirkj

The Basics:

What’s your name and/or username? Mcguirkj – John McGuirk

What city/state do you live in? County Tipperary, in the Republic of Ireland. There’s a song about what a long way away it is, you may have heard it.

How old are you? 34 years old

The Miscellaneous:

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given? My grandmother, god bless her soul, once told me that time spent worrying what other people think of you is time completely wasted. You just make yourself insecure. Just be yourself, and the rest will sort itself out.

If you could grab lunch with anybody in the past, present or future—dead or alive, who would it be and why? I think Augustus Caesar. His life story is fascinating, from tyrannical dictator at 18 to beloved statesman fifty years later, and I’d love to find out the truth of it all.

If you were stranded on a deserted island for the rest of forever, which musical artist would you be listening to, and which television series would you be watching? I’d probably be listening to the Canadian folk artist, Loreena McKennitt (go listen to “the old ways” on youtube) and watching Game of Thrones.

The Jets Related Questions:

How did you become a Jets fan? When I was in my late teens, about 16 years ago, and not a fan of football at all, some friends of a friend were over in Ireland from New Jersey in September. Manchester United were having a rough year and they kept saying “man, you think YOU got it bad? You better be glad you’re not a Jets fan.” Their constant sporting refrain was that the Jets sucked and were terrible but “success is just around the corner”. I thought this was a good time to get on the bandwagon, watched a few games, and got hooked. Man I hate those guys.

What’s your favorite Jets memory? What about your most painful Jets memory? Favourite memory is dragging my fiancé to the London game against the Dolphins a few years ago (photo is of that day). Not only did the Jets STOMP the fish, but Neil Glat (Team VP) came over and talked to us for fifteen minutes, even though we were just random fans (well a random fan and his football-sceptic other half). I was very touched by it, and I remember it made Orla’s day too. Classy.

Worst memory? Humiliating losses are bad, but I think a few years ago when my father in law asked me “how are the Jets looking this year” and I had to say “well things were looking okay until one of our linebackers punched the quarterback and broke his jaw”. That was a low point.

In your humble opinion, who is the most dominant Jet to ever play and why? Namath. I know there are lots of other candidates and cult heroes in the fanbase, but Namath won it all, and is not just a Jets legend, but an NFL legend.

Who is your favorite Jets player and why? I think I might be the only person who wasn’t in his family to buy a Tanner Purdum shirt. In a period where everyone else was incompetent, Tanner never let me down. A hero. More seriously, in the time I’ve been a fan, there hasn’t been a better Jet, and few better men who played as Jets, than Nick Mangold.

If Woody Johnson handed you a blank check and gave you a choice to be a part of the New York Jets organization in any capacity, which position would you choose, and why? (It could be GM, Head Coach, Quarterback, Linebacker, Head of Scouting, Waterboy—the sky is the limit). I’d be the GM obviously.

Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles get fired after the season and Woody Johnson decides to name you the next GM, giving you one very clear goal: win the Super Bowl within the next 4 years. What is your strategy to make the Jets a Super Bowl winner? What is your strategy to build this team into a perennial Super Bowl contender? On the offensive side, I think we have the most important piece already, and he wears #14. You have to do two things: Protect him, and get him weapons. I would prioritize O linemen in the top rounds of the draft for the next three years, aiming for a couple of solid guards and two tackles. The weapons I would pursue via free agency and trades. This coming offseason, Bell would be priority #1, with Tevin Coleman as a fallback option, and I’d be willing to splash the cash on a top WR if one becomes available. Adam Humphries is someone I’d be looking closely at to fill the slot role, with Anderson and Enunwa staying put. Ultimately though we will not win a Superbowl without a top 10 offensive line, so I’d be looking to bring in Mitch Morse and AJ Cann in free agency, and making our next franchise LT a very high draft priority with pick #3 (while remaining open to a trade down)

On the defensive side of the ball, I would trade Leonard Williams if I could get a 3rd round pick for him. Additions here rely a lot on scheme. But my philosophy would be to build a team that can get back to stopping the run first and keeping them in 2nd and long as often as possible. To that end, Grady Jarrett would be a top target in FA. Top end draft picks would be spent primarily on the offensive line and skill positions, but I would be trying to draft a cornerback in the 3rd or 4th every year to generate a pipeline of talent into the back end of the D. I think decent linebackers are a good place to invest free agent dollars instead of draft picks, unless an exceptional talent falls to you. We should be set at safety for the foreseeable future, so that position is not a priority. That leaves the edge, and there is no obvious solution there. Dee Ford maybe, but that’s a scheme thing to be discussed with the coaches.



from Gang Green Nation - All Posts http://bit.ly/2FPVvpd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adbox